Renter’s Insurance FAQs
Renter’s Insurance FAQs
There are three ways to apply for renter’s insurance through 1300 Insurance. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you could buy your renter’s insurance in the following ways:
- Get a quote and then buy securely online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Complete a quote online then simply call 1300 467 872 to complete the purchase of your policy. Make sure you have the quote reference number handy when you call.
- Call a friendly, helpful consultant on 1300 467 872 to get a quote and buy your insurance over the phone.
The call centre is open Monday to Friday between 8.00am and 9.00pm (EST) and Saturday 8.00am to 5.00pm (EST).
If you meet the eligibility criteria, you may be able to get your renter’s insurance in place within minutes with a short online session or one quick phone call.
Simply call the claims line on 1300 467 872 and a friendly, professional staff consultant will guide you through the quick, easy claims process. Alternatively, you can submit an online claim form – find out more here.
Most renter’s insurance claims can be processed over the phone. In some more complicated cases we may have to arrange for an assessor to visit your home to inspect the damage, and help you to coordinate repairs and replacements. Either way, your claim will be dealt with quickly and with the minimum fuss.
If you choose Classic or Prestige Home Contents Insurance there are also a number of options for you to choose from, which will change the premium you pay. These include cover for flood (which is subject to eligibility) and cover for portable contents that you carry with you away from home.
There will be a number of differences between the contents insurance policies offered by different companies. Make sure that you read the Product Disclosure Statement for the standard terms, conditions, limits and exclusions of cover before you buy any insurance, so that you know exactly what is and isn’t covered.
Some great benefits of the renter’s insurance we offer include:
- A choice of optional extras, so you can tailor the policy to your needs
- A variable excess feature (allowing you to increase your excess to save money on your premiums1)
- The option to pay your premiums monthly, at no extra cost (premiums payable by instalments may be subject to minor adjustments due to rounding and financial institution transaction fees may apply)
- A quick and simple paperless application process
Renter’s insurance premiums are calculated on the basis of the risk you present to the insurer.
Risk is affected by a number of factors, such as:
- the location of your home
- the value of your possessions
- the security devices that are installed to protect your home
- the frequency of claims made by you or by previous occupiers of your home
Your premium will also depend on the amount you wish to insure, the level of cover you choose and any optional extras you add to your policy.
Before you buy insurance, you have a legal duty of disclosure to tell your insurer anything you know and that a reasonable person in the circumstances would include in their answer to any questions asked that are relevant to the insurer’s decision to insure you and on what terms. The duty applies until your insurer agrees to insure you. If you don’t comply, your insurer may cancel your contract, reduce the amount it pays for a claim, or both. If your failure is fraudulent, your insurer can refuse a claim and treat the contract as if it never existed.
The renter’s insurance products we offer are underwritten by Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850, AFSL No 234708 (Allianz).
Allianz is an Australian Insurer authorised to conduct insurance business in Australia by the Australian Prudential Regulatory Authority (APRA).
Allianz is a member of the Insurance Council of Australia and subscribes to the General Insurance Code of Practice.