Can I get pet insurance if my pet has a pre-existing condition?
In the event of your pet having a pre-existing Condition, your policy will not cover treatment for that Condition or any related Condition occurring in any form, anywhere in or on your pet's body. That means that if your pet has displayed symptoms of a condition before you take out insurance, or during the initial waiting period, then your cover will be for treatments that don't relate to the pre-existing condition.
After 18 months, if your pet has been free of clinical signs, symptoms or recurrence of the Pre-existing Condition (or any Condition(s) arising directly therefrom), you may apply to us to review a Pre-existing Condition exclusion. You'll need to get your vet to fill out a waiver form to send with your application.
Even if your pet has a pre-existing medical condition, our pet insurance cover will cover them for accidents and other illnesses. Once insured, we will continue to offer to insure your dog for the rest of its life as long as cover is renewed each year and there has been no change in the level of Cover after reaching the age of 9.
To view the complete list of illnesses and treatments covered by our pet insurance policies, as well as any exclusions that might apply, you must download and read the Product Disclosure Statement before you take out any pet insurance.
- How long do I have to submit a claim after my pet had treatment?
- Can I visit any Vet?
- Can I get pet Insurance for older pets?
- Can I get pet insurance if I don't know how old my pet is?
- Is there Medicare for pets?
- Can I get pet insurance if my pet has a pre-existing condition?
- What is the cheapest pet insurance?
- Is neutering or de-sexing covered by pet insurance?
- Can I get discount pet insurance when I insure more than one pet?
- Do you provide life insurance for pets?
- Can I make changes to my pet insurance once my policy is in place?
- How do you calculate my premium?
- Will my premium increase every year?
- Will my premium increase even if I don’t submit claims?
- Is my premium calculated the same way as my Private Health Insurance?
- What is the process to make a claim?
- Can I cancel my pet’s policy?
Thanks for your question.
We try very hard to respond to every question we get in a timely manner, but if your question is urgent you might want to call us on 1300 467 872.
1300 Insurance’s Pet Protect is issued by The Hollard Insurance Company Pty Ltd ABN 78 090 584 473, AFSL 241436 (Hollard), is promoted and distributed by Hollard’s Authorised Representative (AR) 1300 Insurance Pty Ltd ABN 83 126 093 696, AR 327609 and is arranged and administered by PetSure (Australia) Pty Ltd ABN 95 075 949 923, AFSL 420183. Any advice provided is general only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs. Please consider the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) to ensure this product meets your needs before purchasing. PDS and Target Market Determination available at 1300insurance.com.au.