Travel Insurance Glossary of Terms
Full details are contained in the Combined Financial Services Guide and Policy Disclosure Statement (including Policy Wording), available from the policy documents page.
means an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD), also known as an automated implantable cardioverterdefibrillator (AICD).
means an aircraft, vehicle, train, tram, vessel or other scheduled transport operated under a licence for the purpose of transporting passengers. However, it does not mean a taxi, limousine or similar service.
means your children or grandchildren accompanying you on the journey who are not in full-time employment and who are aged 24 years or under at the time of issue of your Certificate of Insurance.
means a sudden development and rapid spreading of a contagious disease in a region where it developed in a simply endemic state or within a previously unscathed community.
means the deduction we will make from the amount otherwise payable under your policy for each claimable incident or event.
means you, your spouse or partner and your dependants.
means the place where you normally live in Australia.
means an established hospital registered under any legislation that applies to it, that provides in-patient medical care. It does not include any institution used primarily as a nursing or convalescent home, a place of rest, a geriatric ward, a mental institution, a rehabilitation or external care facility or a place for the treatment of alcoholism, drug addiction or substance addiction.
Injure or Injured or Injury
means bodily injury caused solely and directly by violent, accidental, visible and external means, which happens at a definite time and place during your period of cover and does not result from any illness, sickness or disease.
means travel which begins when you leave home or your place of business to commence your travel and ends when you arrive back home or at a hospital or nursing home in Australia (if you are evacuated or repatriated), whichever is earlier.
Luggage and Personal Effects
means your suitcases, trunks and similar containers including their contents and articles worn or carried by you. It does not mean or include any bicycle, business samples or items that you intend to trade, valuables, snow sport equipment, passport or travel documents, cash, bank notes, currency notes, cheques, negotiable instruments, electronic data, software, intangible asset, watercraft of any type (other than surfboards), furniture, furnishings, household appliances, hired items or any other item listed as excluded on your Certificate of Insurance.
means a doctor (including a clinical psychologist) or dentist qualified to diagnose the condition or disorder, holding the necessary current certification in the country in which they are currently practising, and who is not you or your travelling companion, or a relative or employee of you or your travelling companion.
Moped or Scooter
means any two-wheeled or three-wheeled motor vehicle with an engine displacement of not greater than 50cc.
means any two-wheeled or three-wheeled motor vehicle with an engine displacement greater than 50cc.
means outside of Australia and its territories.
means a form of an epidemic that extends throughout an entire continent.
Pre-existing medical condition
means a condition of which you were, or a reasonable person in your circumstances should have been, aware:
prior to the time of the policy being issued that is:
a chronic or ongoing:
- medical condition;
- dental condition; or
- mental illness, or
- a current pregnancy; or
- a medical condition connected with your current or past pregnancy; or
- related to in vitro fertilisation or another form of assisted reproductive treatment or procedure, or
- a chronic or ongoing:
in the ten (10) years prior to the time of the policy being
issued that involves:
- your heart, brain, circulatory system or blood vessels; or
- your respiratory system; or
- your kidneys, liver or pancreas; or
- cancer; or
- back pain requiring prescribed pain relief medication; or
- surgery involving any joints, the neck, back, spine, brain, skull, abdomen or pelvis requiring at least an overnight stay in hospital; or
- diabetes mellitus (type 1 or type 2); or
- mental ilness; or
signs or symptoms for which you:
- have not yet sought a medical opinion regarding the cause; or
- are currently under investigation to define a diagnosis; or
- are awaiting specialist opinion, or:
in the two (2) years prior to the time of the policy being
issued for which you:
- have been in hospital, required an emergency department visit or had day surgery; or
- have been prescribed a new medication or had a change to your medication regime; or
- had or required regular review or check-ups; or
- have required prescription pain relief medication.
- prior to the time of the policy being issued that is:
means any place that the public has access to, including but not limited to planes, trains, cruise ships, taxis, buses, air or bus terminals, stations, wharves, streets, museums, galleries, hotels, hotel foyers and grounds, beaches, restaurants, private carparks, public toilets and general access areas.
- for medical, hospital or dental expenses, the standard level of care given in the country you are in not exceeding the level you would normally receive in Australia; or
- for other covered expenses, a level comparable to those you have booked for the rest of your journey; or
- as determined by Allianz Global Assistance having regard to the circumstances
means grandparent, parent, parent in law, sister, step sister, sister in law, brother, step brother, brother in law, spouse, partner, fiance(e), son, son in law, daughter, daughter in law, step child, foster child, grandchild, ward or guardian.
means a campervan/motorhome that does not exceed 4.5 tonnes, a sedan, coupe, hatchback, station-wagon, SUV, four wheel drive or mini bus/people mover rented from a licensed motor vehicle rental company or agency.
Sick or Sickness
means a medical condition (including a mental illness), not being an injury, the symptoms of which first occur or manifest after the date of issue.
means a person with whom you have made arrangements before your policy was issued, to travel with you for at least 75% of your journey.
means leaving your luggage and personal effects:
- with a person who is not named on your Certificate of Insurance or who is not a travelling companion or who is not a relative; or
- with a person who is named on your Certificate of Insurance or who is a travelling companion or who is a relative but who fails to keep your luggage and personal effects under close supervision; or
- where they can be taken without your knowledge; or
- at such a distance from you that you are unable to prevent them being taken; and includes forgetting or misplacing items of your luggage and personal effects, leaving them behind or walking away from them.
We, Our and Us
means Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850, AFSL 234708.
You and Your
You, your and insured person means each person named on the Certificate of Insurance except in the definition of pre-existing medical condition where you and your mean you, any relative, travel companion or any other person.
1300 Insurance Pty Ltd ABN 50 124 845 727 AR no. 327609 arranges this insurance as authorised representative for the insurer Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFSL 234708 (Allianz). Travel insurance is issued and managed by AWP Australia Pty Ltd ABN 52 097 227 177 AFSL 245631 trading as Allianz Global Assistance (AGA) for the insurer Allianz. Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply. Allianz and AGA do not provide any advice on this insurance based on any consideration of your objectives, financial situation or needs. Because of that, you should consider whether the advice is appropriate for you. Before making a decision please consider the Product Disclosure Statement. If you purchase a policy, we receive a commission which is a percentage of your premium - ask us for more details before we provide you with services.